The topics and the relevance assessments of the tasks shortly described below can be obtained from the download area.
Tasks in CLEF-IP 2011
There were four tasks in the 2011 track:
- Prior Art Candidate Search: Find patent documents that are likely to constitute prior art to a given patent application.
- Classification: Classify a given patent document according to the IPC system, up to the subclass level.
A new optional sub-task is to classify a given patent document up to the group/subgroup level, when the subclass is given.
- Image-based Patent Retrieval: Find patent documents relevant to a given patent document containing images.
- Image-based Classification: Categorize given patent images into pre-defined categories of images (such as graph, flowchart, drawing, etc.).
Tasks in CLEF-IP 2010
- Prior Art Candidate Search Task: find patent documents that are likely to constitute prior art to a given patent application.
- Classification Task: classify a given patent document according to the IPC.
Both tasks contained 2000 topics, participants to the Prior Art task were allowed to submit results for a smaller topic set of 500 topics.
Tasks in CLEF-IP 2009
There was only one kind of task: find documents that constitute prior art.
10.000 topics were made available, participants could choose to submit experiments
using subsets of the largest topic set. Accepted subsets had to contain results
for the first 500, 1000, or 5000 topics out of the complete set.
The language of the topic documents was not restricted. The 2009 track also
made available optional language tasks for English, German and French, where
the topics had textual content in one of the three languages, only.