RP_extract is a library that processes audio data (WAV,
PCM, or MP3) as input and analyzes the spectral rhythmic
and timbral information in the audio to create different
audio descriptors (a.k.a. features).
These audio descriptors can be used to find
similar sounding songs, create automatic
playlists, make music
recommendations etc. Depending on the needs,
a range of audio features is available:
- RP: captures Rhythm Patterns (see picture at the
right - audible frequency vs. repetition frequency)
and is able to find songs with similar rhythm
- RH: Rhythm Histogram: simplified rhythm descriptor
(roughly containing rhythmic strength for different
- SSD: Statistical Spectrum Descriptor: describing
timbral aspects of the audio Sonogram; by that it is
possible to find songs with similar timbral
- MVD: The Modulation Frequency Variance Descriptor
measures variations over critical audible frequency
bands for a specific rhythmic repetitions (derived
from a rhythm pattern).
- TSSD: Timbral variations over time (based on SSD)
- TRH: Temporal Rhythm Histograms - rhythmic
variations over time (based on RH)
Features can also be combined (e.g. to cover rhythmic
and timbral aspects).
This library is available free
and open source:
Feel free to use it in your own projects (but let us
know about it :-).